About Me

My photo
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be. Shel Silverstein

Sunday, November 7, 2010

chopped.

Okay so I know that I haven't blogged.. in SO LONG. Butttt I decided to tonight :)

As those who have seen me in the past week know.. I chopped off ALL of my hair. I have always wanted to do it and almost did it my junior year of high school but I couldn't go all the way and ended up with an awkward cut that just was a pain in the but to make look cute. I have had everyone ask me why I did it and I haven't really come up with a good answer but I guess I can try a little harder..

I saw the movie "Wall Street" staring Carey Mulligan and her WONDERFUL haircut brought back all my pent up desires for short hair.



and then it should grow out into something a little like...


I didn't really tell anyone or ask anyone's opinion before I did it. I just made the decision, talked to one or two people, and got it cut that day. Its been a whole week and I am still adjusting to it and I haven't even cried once about it. Most girls cry when they cut off their hair, and I usually do to.

Reasons:
1. A lot of change has revealed itself in my life lately and a physical change to represent that seemed appropriate as well.
2. I feel like I am really starting to find out who I am as a person and even though I don't necessarily think that the "newly found me" can only exist with short hair, but changing it so drastically did serve to push me out of the comfort zone of my previously unsure self.
3. I wanted to see if I could pull it off.
4. I seem to always want to cut my hair once it gets to be pretty long. I guess its just angst.
5. Long hair is "sexy" and "sexy" makes me uncomfortable.. I much much much prefer cute.
6. This is really the last time in my life that I can pull off this short of hair. I want my hair to be really long when I get married and its going to take me at least 2 years to get my hair back to where it was.. (1 year back to my collarbone) And not that I am planning to be married by then necessarily, but that's the age when it is possible.
7. I want to build my self-esteem based on who I am, not on what I look like. I hid behind my hair, and clothes, and makeup to make myself feel comfortable with who I am and stripping myself of one of those elements will definitely push me to rely on my character.
8. I have been trying really hard to not live in fear, especially silly fear.. like what people think. Should I cut my hair, something I have always wanted to do? No? Because some people might not like it? That's ridiculous number one because its for me, not for them and number two, the people I want to surround myself with will love me for who I am and not what my hair looks like. And number three, it might just look fabulous!

Pros:
1. I haven't seen my natural hair color since 7th grade and now its back!
2. I LOVE growing my hair out... until it gets long
3. All the above under "Reasons"
4. I feel more.. chic?
5. I am more unique appearance wise
6. SO easy to do. My "get ready" time was more than halved
7. My hair doesn't get wet when I get in the hot tub

Cons:
1. The attention. Everyone commenting on it and asking me questions is only natural but it makes me so nervous. The first few days after I got it cut, I was so anxious to leave my apartment, not because I didn't like it or want people to see it, but because I knew it would cause a lot of commotion. But it has died down a lot
2. I look silly when I wake up in the morning. I have never really experienced "bed head" until now. I have learned how to manage it though with headbands. Which brings me to...
3. Until I get 100% used to it, I am going to undoubtedly feel a little less feminine when I look in the mirror based solely on the fact that I haven't adjusted to it yet. So until then, I have found a whole new appreciation for headbands. I LOVE them.
4. I can no longer get away with not wearing makeup or cute clothes, BUT I am sure once I get used to it short, that I won't necessarily feel that way anymore.
5. The fake "it looks so good!" I know that some people genuinely love it but I also know that a huge change like that is a shock for a while and you can't love it until after that shock period is over. I understand that they are just trying to be sweet and I definitely appreciate it but I also know that a lot of people don't like short hair. I knew that when I got the hair cut and I am not going to assume that everyone is going to love it. I know some people will hate it. JUST BE HONEST.. nicely :)
6. Despite loving the change and excited about having fun with short hair, just knowing how long it will take to make it long again is overwhelming.
7. It's taking a while to learn the best way to style it.



Oh. and PS: The new Taylor Swift Album "Speak Now" is. so. awesome.

over and out

"Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let
God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think.
Then you will learn to know
God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect."
Romans 12:2

No comments: