About Me

My photo
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be. Shel Silverstein

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Inspired: Picasso

Pablo Diego José Francisco de Paula Juan Nepomuceno María de los Remedios Cipriano de la Santísima Trinidad Ruiz y Picasso, or Picasso as we all seem to know him by was a revolutionary painter that created paitings in which their sole purpose was to question every rule in the art world of his time. Most people can recognize the typical Picasso painting, in the style of the paintings below...
http://www.artquotes.net/masters/picasso/picasso_jacqueline1954.jpghttp://www.moma.org/explore/conservation/demoiselles/images/demoiselles_NewFINAL.jpg 
but, Picasso did not start his artistic career painting the painting we recognize as his style today. He developed that style over time and had many differing styles between the beginning and the end of his art career. Personally, my favorite of these is his Blue Period, where all of his paintings were mostly monochromtic blue. They are so expressive, yet simple.
http://emptyeasel.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/theoldguitaristbypablopicasso.jpghttp://www.artquotes.net/masters/picasso/picasso_self1901.jpg 
After his Blue Period, he went through what is known as his Rose Period... below is one of his more famous paintings from this time.
 
What I am most suprised and inpired by are his paintings from his youth. He was classicially trained as a painter and had incredible talent and technique that many people do not associate with Picasso.


http://www.artsfairies.com/PICASSO%20PABLO/Pablo%20Picasso%20-%20First%20Communion.JPG 
Picasso was a rebel in every sense of the word and his journey to rebellion is what has inspired me. Yes, of course as someone who loves art and loves drawing/ painting/ photography, I am inspired by his artwork, but mostly I am inspired by is his philosophy on life and how he portrays that through his body of work. Being rebellious is something that is so... alluring to me. I want to question everything and know why..about everything. And if there is something I cannot do, for reasons outside of my own values and beliefs, it makes me want to do it even more. I adore being unique (a much more flattering synonym for weird). Some of my weirdness is inherent to me.. the spelling of my name (Taelor), but most of it comes from two things. One, letting go of the fear of being different, and two, really searching to find the things that I really love in life rather than settling for whats popular. I have learned so much about who I am, about my heart, about my intellect, about my character by going beyond the norm to find my real, true interests. I am nerdy, quirky, romantic, thoughtful... most importantly, I am myself, Taelor, and no one will ever mistake me for anything but that. 

Picasso's first paintings are so beautiful and perfected, but they look like endless other paintings from his time period and even generations before him. It would be next to impossible to pick that painting out of a room of paintings similar and say "that's a Picasso." But, at the end of his career, there would be absolutely no doubt as to which paintings were his due to his incredibly unique style. His Blue and Rose periods were transitional phases whenever he was searching for who he was as an artist and his Blue Period specifically respresented a tough time in his life. What I learn from these periods is that becoming unique and finding out who you are is a transitional process, slowly testing the waters and finding out what makes you different from people around you. Also, although his Blue Period was extremely expressive of a difficult time in his life, it was merely a period rather than a definitition of who he was. Difficult times can definitely affect your characteristics, but it should not define who you are.

The final thing about Picasso that inspires me is that he perfected the norm before rebelling against it. He learned and understood all the accepted rules of art before breaking them. He didn't just naively start being rebellious for the sake of it. 

Here are some quotes!

"Every act of creation is first an act of destruction."
  
"I begin with an idea and then it becomes something else."

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find us working."

"It took me four years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child."

"My mother said to me, 'If you are a soldier, you will become a general. If you are a monk, you will become the Pope.' Instead, I was a painter, and became Picasso."

"The world today doesn't make sense, so why should I paint pictures that do?"
 
"Some painters transform the sun into a yellow spot, others transform a yellow spot into the sun."


-Pablo Picasso


over and out.


No comments: