About Me

My photo
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be. Shel Silverstein

Thursday, March 24, 2011

A Modern Day Abolistionist Movement

"The sense that thousands and millions of children and young people are being sexually violated and that there’s this huge silence about it around me angers me."
Sunitha Krishnan

Sunitha Krishnan has dedicated her life to rescuing women and children from sex slavery, a multimilion-dollar global market. In this courageous talk, she tells three powerful stories, as well as her own, and calls for a more humane approach to helping these young victims rebuild their lives.



If you were to ask me what the one thing in the world that I absolutely despise, my answer would without a doubt be, sex trafficking.  I could sit here and type for hours about the in's and out's of the process, the mental, emotional, health, and societal consequences. I could rant about how sex trafficking is, in my mind, one of the worst crimes one could ever commit and by far one of the worst experiences to be a victim of. I could tell you how these women feel, before, during, and after. I could tell you their background stories and how they ended up there. But, the problem with me telling you all these things is that it would all be secondary information, read from books, seen in videos. Please watch the brief 12 minute video posted above, a talk from someone who not only lived through the experience herself, but has also personally saved thousands of others. Take 12 minutes that you usually spend on Facebook or watching TV and listen to her story.

http://www.prajwalaindia.com/gallery/10.jpg
Rescued Children from the Sex Trade

Also, my college small group are praying this week about whether or not our tight group of around 10 college students should commit to funding a home in Haiti for three girls. These girls are children who are orphaned and were never adopted. A huge majority of girls in their situation become prostitutes because they have no other options to turn to. One house for three girls, one house to prevent three girls from trading themselves into the sex industry, costs a mere $5,500. I have prayed just over the past 24 hours and have had nothing but an urgency on my heart to commit myself to this project. If our group decides to fund a home, we will be doing it via fundraising in any and every way we can (because we are college kids after all). We also wouldn't limit ourselves to one home, but rather have one home be our bare minimum. If anyone feels like they would like to make a donation or simply wants more information, email me at trussel3@stedwards.edu.

 Psalm 72: 4, 12-13
"He will defend the afflicted among the people and save the children of the needy; he will crush the oppressor."
"For he will deliver the needy who cry out, the afflicted who have no one to help. He will take pity on the weak and the needy and save the needy from death." 

What do you think motivates people to move through their own pain and become teachers and role models for others? Comment below with your answer...

over and out.

No comments: