About Me

My photo
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be. Shel Silverstein

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Yoga Yoga Yoga

So, I finally got around to finding a physical activity that I enjoy and will be motivated to continue. I actually have done yoga before and knew that I liked it. The problem was that I could never find a place that I could afford and that was in a could location with a convenient schedule. This was until I found Black Swan Yoga. Now, I know the name sounds scary, but the yoga studio came before the movie! Anyways, they are a yoga studio instead of a gym that offers yoga classes. This is great because instead of working my schedule around when classes are offered, I can take a class around my schedule, since they have classes all day long every day. Another great thing about this place is that it is a donation based studio. They suggest $10-$15 if you can afford it, but understand some people can't and ask only for what you can give. I have been giving about $5 per class on average and that is perfect! The location of the studio is on 5th street by Whole Foods, which is really close to where I work on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. It takes me no time to get there after work, and by the time I am done with the class, 5 o'clock traffic is gone! AND if I want, I can walk over to Whole Foods afterwards and grab a salad.

http://www.makesenseofyourworld.net/makesense/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/BSY-logo-print.jpg

So far I have taken two classes, Vinyasa (Vinyasa means “to flow” and also “to link postures together”. In this class, you’ll do both as you breathe, and move in a conscious dance from pose to pose. Longer holds are added to build endurance and deep stretches keep you flexible and strong.) and Hatha+ (Hatha yoga plus a little more at the end. A little yin yoga, holding stretches for longer periods of time. Perfect balance to the yang part of class.) Both of these kicked my butt! You really do stretch muscles you normally never stretch and tense muscles you normally never tense. Yoga is such a disciplined practice, which I love, but it takes a ton of concentration and control over your whole body. By the end of the class, you feel like you had a full body massage... until the next day when you are super sore! But I know the difficulties will pass as I go to more and more classes. Overall, I am SO excited!

Next week my yoga schedule is:

Monday: Sweaty Yoga (Mix of Hatha Yoga and Vinyasa Yoga in a heated room. Enjoy the music, breathing, and have a great time.)
Tuesday: Sweaty Yoga
Wednesday: Vinyasa
Friday: Power Yoga (This is a class for the vinyasa student looking to get their sweat on.)

 Tonight is date night with a nice meal at The Grille at Rough Hollow and then an evening showing of The Hangover 2!

over and out.

No comments: