About Me

My photo
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be. Shel Silverstein

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

one minute late.

I woke up this morning at 9:01, one minute later than I had intended to wake up. I panicked knowing that because I hit snooze, I potentially wouldn’t have woken up in time.

I am currently blogging from IHOP! So this post will probably be a little all over the place sense I am a little distracted.

Anyways I want to start off with a TO DO list:

1. Run daily
2. Read “A Reason for God”
3. Go grocery shopping
4. Clean my room
5. Study/ homework
6. Meet with my advisor

I feel like I have a lot more to do than all of that, but whatever.

I unfortunately didn’t get to start “A Reason for God” today but I will definitely be starting it tomorrow.. after I run, have my meeting, and do all my French homework.

Today in French, I learned how to say “I would like a diet coke.”
“Je voudrais un coca light.” BUT right now, je voudrais un café au lait!

After class, I went straight to work, took a little half nap and then did some preliminary studying for my South East Asia quiz in the morning. I know everything except Timor, Bali, Java, and Sulawesi.

Work today (I work as an intern for the Youth Pastor at Lake Hills Church) was. So. AWESOME. While we were setting up for the kids to get there, Whitney, Caleigh, Josh, and I danced around and even did some Thriller. Then when Caitlin and Hannah got there, we watched some entertaining videos and had some great laughs. I learned that my shirt is actually green and not blue. BUT the most awesome part of the night was worship, Kirk’s talk, and our small group. Somehow God keeps tying everything in my life together to the point of actively and deliberately pursuing Him and His will. We have wrapped up our series “Live Love” tonight. The series was basically about loving others actively, to go out of your way to illustrate to others that they are loved. This deliberate kindness has proven to take hold of our students’ and leaders’ hearts and transformed them into loving to love. Tonight, Kirk talked about how even though we will be moving on to a new series, that Live Love should continue. That even though going out of our way to love on others was something new and was/ is exciting, that we need to push through the transition from new to normal so that eventually it will just become natural. This reminded me about how I just committed yesterday to running and how right now its new and exciting, but soon I will get to the point where I don’t want to do it because its difficult or just a hassle. But if I stay committed and push through that, then eventually running will just become a natural part of my life. Today, I didn’t run because on the program, it is a rest day. I did, though, park extremely far from my classes and walked a good 40 minute round trip from my car to my classes. Tomorrow I have committed to running between getting home from class and going to my meeting. I am going to be running by myself, so I am a little nervous about holding myself accountable but all of this inspiration to take opportunities and figuratively and literally run with them will keep me going. I would really love for running to become a time that I can focus on and spend time with God, enjoy the world he created, and let Him fill me up with drive and strength to just keep going. Day by day, minute by minute. I want the exact same thing for my life. I need to make the commitment to live entirely for Jesus, get off my butt and start each and every day, enjoy it, and let God guide me and fill me up with His strength instead of my own when things undoubtedly will get difficult. My strength will fail every time, but His strength gained through faith and prayer will push me through until its simply natural.

The next thing Kirk talked about was a wonderful metaphor about dreams, sleeping, and the snooze button. Basically it’s natural to have dreams and aspirations. What’s not natural is actually taking action to make them happen. God will take you there as long as you put on your tennis shoes and take the first step and trust Him all the way. Kirk talked about how we can’t put our dreams aside and just go back to sleep.

“Don’t go back to sleep. Don’t roll over and hit snooze.”

“There are consequences”

The consequences don’t really have anything to do with us, but not accomplishing the dreams that Jesus has for us, will prevent all of the awesomeness that could happen through us from coming to fruition.

“Some are content to dream dreams. Some would rather live them.”

“Don’t sleep through your dreams.”

Its time to wake up and place my dreams in the hands of God and commit to having faith to allow Him to lead me, step by step.

My dreams right now:
1. Take any and every opportunity God puts in front of me
2. To always be reading and learning
3. Eat healthy
4. Become a runner
5. Keep up with my blog
6. Overcome my current struggle/ obstacle
7. Be patient with my education and learn to appreciate it again.
8. To keep dreaming..


Here are some quotes/ scriptures that really made me think today:

Jeannie Hampton… “Don’t let life be another word for endurance.”

Caleigh Wilson… “It’s so easy to settle for B’s and coast through school even though you could work a little harder for A’s. The same applies to life; God wants so much more for us to settle for a B life when we could accomplish an A life through Him.”

“Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we don’t give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.” Galatians 6:7-10

“But He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” 2 Corinthians 12: 9-10


“I woke up this morning at 9:01, one minute later than I had intended to wake up. I panicked knowing that because I hit snooze, I potentially wouldn’t have woken up in time.” I feel like I woke up from my life one minute late today as well, panicked that I almost let my dreams, Jesus’s dreams, pass me by. You know how when you realize you almost woke up too late, how you are completely awake within a split second, fling your covers off of you and get ready four times as fast as you normally do? Well I hope and pray that’s how we will all awake to chase after Jesus every morning.

Over and Out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope the running is going well! If you ever want to run a race you can count me in :)