About Me

My photo
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be. Shel Silverstein

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

just a little bit giddy.

Okay, maybe I am more than just a little bit giddy. I am full on EXCITED. This new year, just in these first few days has opened up so many opportunities for me!

The two major ones are:

1) Applying for a summer internship with International Justice Mission
International Justice Mission is a human rights agency that secures justice for victims of slavery, sexual exploitation and other forms of violent oppression. IJM lawyers, investigators and aftercare professionals work with local officials to ensure immediate victim rescue and aftercare, to prosecute perpetrators and to promote functioning public justice systems.

My ultimate dream job would be to become one of the IJM lawyers and the way to do that, other than becoming a lawyer of course, is being involved in their legal internship programs. But, sadly, I must wait until law school to be eligible for that. BUT I am, as of this year, eligible for a non-legal internship. This is not only an awesome opportunity to get my foot in the door but such a blessing to get to be active in a cause that I am so very passionate about. Another thing I love about IJM is that it is a Christian based organization and all employees, interns, and volunteers must know Christ. SO awesome!! The internship I am applying for is called "Education: Student Ministries."
Student Ministry interns assist with various programs designed to further involve youth groups, college campuses and other organizations with IJM’s work. Although tasks vary depending on the nature of the work in progress during the internship, interns can expect their tasks to include:

1. Researching, editing and contributing to the tools and curriculums developed to support the initiatives of the Student Ministries;
2. Editing, updating and contributing to the content on the student website pages;
3. Corresponding with student groups interested in Loose Change to Loosen Chains, The Justice Mission, and Campus Chapters;
4. Supporting IJM Campus Chapters;
5. Assisting in the implementation and follow-up processes of new fundraising initiatives;
6. Corresponding with groups and leaders who are using The Justice Mission curriculum for middle school and high school students;
7. Researching current educational programs and developing new initiatives; and
8. Participating in departmental and general IJM administrative support.


Although this internship wouldn't put me on the front lines of fighting human trafficking, it does utilize my current skills that I have learned from interning for a youth group at my church. And, also I have personally witnessed kids in our own youth group, including myself when I was in high school, really find their hearts immersed in the cause through IJM. I can't imagine a better place for me to start my journey and let God lead me where He wants me to go, whether that is IJM or not. The process for choosing interns from the applicant pool is very selective, but I am not worried about that simply because if God wants me there, He will put me there and if that's not where I am supposed to be, then He won't. What I would love from you is prayers. Prayers specifically that this passion and excitement in my heart won't burn out, prayers that I will keep focused on this as God's will and not my own and allow whatever the outcome is to be God's will and for me to be at peace with it. (So basically pray that I don't get my hopes up)

2) My boss just shared with me and his other interns this incredible set of conferences called Passion Conferences.
From the beginning Passion has been rooted in the confession of Isaiah 26:8: “Yes Lord, walking in the way of Your truth we wait eagerly for You, for Your name and renown are the desire of our souls.”*

As a result, Passion seeks to gather college and university students across the nation and around the world to seek the face of God, asking Him to ignite in our souls a passionate pursuit of Jesus Christ and a desire to spread His fame to everyone on earth.

We believe God is calling out a generation of college students committed to the glory of His name in all things. God longs to bring awakening to every campus, mobilizing the students of today to finish the task of global evangelization in this generation. God is calling us out for this purpose, in this moment, for His renown.

There just happens to be a conference in April in Ft. Worth, a mere four hour drive from Austin. I HAVE to go. Its not cheap, especially including traveling, hotel, and meal expenses but I have the ability to make it work through discipline with my money. I urge all of you to go to iTunes and look up Passion City Church Podcast and download some of their messages and to go to the 268 Generation Store and look at some of the books they have available. I think I am going to buy I Am Not But I Know I AM by Louie Giglio and Face Down by Matt Redman.

I also recently bought a new bible and devotional to start the new year. The bible I got is the The Case for Christ Study Bible which is an NIV bible with study guides throughout based on Lee Strobel's book The Case for Christ. And the devotional I got, I am very excited about! It's The Message Remix Solo: An Uncommon Devotional By: Eugene H. Peterson. Here is the description from the back of the devotional:
Transform your quiet time. Today's world is all about now - a fast-moving, high-speed, on-demand lifestyle, but has this pace changed the way we study the Bible? Our relationship with God is a journey, a walk where we grow closer to him each day. So it makes sense that reading and understanding Scripture is a continual experience, not just a moment. This innovative devotional is designed to change how you interact with God's Word. "The Message//REMIX: Solo "revolves around lectio divina, or "divine reading," an ancient approach to exploring Scripture updated for today's students. Each devotion delivers a unique, contemplative study that will encourage you to read, think, pray, and live. Uncover biblical wisdom and revelations as you learn to read without the typical limitations that often cut Bible reading short. Immerse yourself in the passage as you place yourself in the story or meditate on words and phrases. Connect with him through listening prayer and praise as you encounter new ways to communicate with God. Rest, reflect, or act as you discover how to take the Word with you throughout the day. Features include an introduction to the lectio divina style of study, numbered devotions so you can start on any day of the year, and a time of rest every seventh day.


So now you're thinking, that's all great and dandy but this is a New Year's post. So... where's my New Year's resolutions?

Unfortunately I was extremely sick with food poisoning all of New Year's Eve (when I have planned to really reflect on the past year and brainstorm about resolutions), so I obviously couldn't carry out that plan. I still have yet to really make a list of sorts but I have some overarching dreams and goals for myself this year, and throughout the years.

1. Chase God with my whole heart, pursue Him, run after Him, abide by, accord, adhere to, adopt, attend, be consistent with, be devoted to, be guided by, be in keeping, be interested in, comply, do like, emulate, follow suit, give allegiance to, harmonize, heed, hold fast, imitate, keep, keep an eye on,mind, mirror, model on, note, obey, observe, pattern oneself upon, reflect, regard, serve, support, take after, take as an example, and watch GOD.

2. Make my quiet time with God more of a priority and really focus on LISTENING to Him instead of just talking talking talking. So many times I have found myself rushing through my devotionals, reading scripture, and seeing what I saw the message as and then being satisfied. I really want to focus on listening to what God wants to show me as the message and listen to how He wants me to apply that message to my life.

3. Get involved in some sort of college ministry/ bible study.

4. Pray for and take as many opportunities that God places in front of me for Him.

5. Not get lazy. I find that when I get discouraged, instead of getting back on the horse, I give up and let my passions get lazy. I lose my excitement to pursue my passions which leads to self-doubt which is a huge distraction from God.

6. Strengthen my prayer life. I don't want to just pray during my quiet time. I want to always (or as much as I can) be in conversation with God.

7. Stay healthy; find a means of exercise that I can fall in love with.

8. Get 4.0's the next two semesters

9. GET THE INTERNSHIP. If I don't get the internship, I don't want to get disappointed. Instead, I want to find where God really wants me this summer.

10. I want to do some sort of mission trip, hopefully internationally, sometime in 2011.

11. Discipline myself in matters of money. The first thing I want to do when I get a paycheck is pay off my credit card (use for gas and only ESSENTIALS) and put the rest into savings. Both opportunities I listed above have costs, and mission trips have costs and it would be irresponsible of me to not be prepared for those costs while I am chasing to achieve them.

12. I need to stop shopping so much. Clothes and looking cute are fun, an even necessary in professional environments. BUT, I have plenty to look presentable, and cute. I don't need more. (This is going to be very difficult for me)

Yes Lord, walking in the way of Your truth we wait eagerly for You, for Your name and renown are the desire of our souls.

Isaiah 26:8

over and out.

No comments: