About Me

My photo
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be. Shel Silverstein

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

ten.

Okay, so I have recently been really inspired by minimalist projects such as The Uniform Project and the Six Items or Less Challenge and have the urge to do a similar challenge myself! Instead of choosing one of these already formed projects (I almost did), I decide to kind of create my own. My challenge revolves around the number 10. Ten staple items in my wardrobe/ makeup bag. Ten dollars a week to the Not For Sale: End Human Trafficking campaign (more info on them below). Trying to spend as close to ten dollars and under per day (I will allow myself rollover money). Ten items of my own wardrobe donated (this might grow to a larger number, but its a tangible start). I was going to do this challenge for a month, but then I thought, I turn twenty in 60 days (all multiples of 10!) So, I am going to adopt The Uniform Project's idea of a simple basic outfit everyday, made into creative, unique outfits with accessories that I already own. My staple outfit is going to be a white tee and jeans. Because I would like to stay clean, but also not waste excess energy by washing the same tee and jeans everyday so I will have a choice from four different white shirts and two pairs of jeans. On top of that, I have chosen four items of makeup as the only makeup I will wear. I want to challenge my western consumerism, my comfort zone, my shop-o-holic tendencies, my creativity, and make my complicated world just a little more simple.

Not For Sale:
My donations of $10 a week ($40 per month) will go towards their program entitled "Become a Backyard Abolitionist" (click the link to become one yourself!) in which the lowest membership is $28 per month, which leaves me with $12 more dollars per month I would like to use for local and personal giving (ex. a meal to the homeless man or woman on the street corner).

The major obstacle that we face in the fight against modern-day slavery is that the crime is hidden. Individuals that work in the field know that slavery is not part of the current collective consciousness. Initially, it shocks the general public to learn that slavery still exists and is widespread. It is even more shocking for them to realize that it may exist in their own backyards.


As a Backyard Abolitionist, you are at the center of the movement to combat modern-day slavery and human trafficking across the world. You are a part of a growing global network of individuals offering their passions, their skills, and their resources to address one of the greatest human rights issues of our day.



Clothes:

1 white form fitting short sleeve tee
1 white lose fitting short sleeve tee
1 white tee shirt (think Hanes)
1 white long sleeve tee
1 pair dark jeans
1 pair light jeans

Accessories only those that I own

Makeup:
Face power (Bare Minerals)
Chapstick (Nivea "Milk & Honey")
Mascara (Voluminous by Loreal)
Nail Polish (varies)

Budget:
$10 per week to a cause
$10 per day on expenses(expenses do not include money spent on others)

$80 per week (the rest will go into savings)





Matthew 6:28-30 (New Living Translation)
And why worry about your clothing? Look at the lilies of the field and how they grow. They don’t work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith?


over and out

No comments: